Friday 15 April 2016

'When I leave the world behind' - Anna Syme, 1930-2016

A little later today, we'll be saying our farewells to Anna -
accordionist-extraordinaire, much-loved aunt, godmother, friend
and beloved child of God.
Found tucked away in her accordion case was a verse to the song
'When I leave the world behind' - which I'll be using
after the final part of Anna's leave-taking, at Leadhills Cemetery -
it's almost as if it were her way of saying goodbye to us:
I leave the sunshine to the flowers
I leave the springtime to the trees
And to the old folk I leave a memory
Of a baby upon their knees
I leave the nighttime to the dreamers
I leave the songbird to the blind
I leave the moon above to those in love
When I leave the world behind
When I leave the world behind

Rest well, Anna, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.