Monday 20 March 2017

40 Acts of Lent: day 17 - Generation

Act seventeen - Generation   by Tola Fisher
An elderly person sitting alone for days; a new mum on her own with the baby and no one to share the moments and the pressure with; a teenager struggling to make friends. We're missing out if we only interact with our own generation, and we're leaving others isolated. Today, generosity steps out of its box as we celebrate the richness of mixing with different generations with simple acts of presence, conversation, and touch.


"The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not murder,' 
'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not covet,' and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: 
'Love your neighbour as yourself.' Love does no harm to a neighbour. 
Therefore love is the fulfilment of the law."
                                                                                                               (Romans 13:9-10 NIV)
 
My decision to take a sabbatical from work to do a ski season last year on the wrong side of 30 was not something I entered into lightly. When watching Chalet Girl beforehand, I knew it wouldn't be exactly like the film (although, being totally awesome in a ski competition and meeting a hot, rich guy wouldn't be too bad...), but I didn't see how teenagers, most of whom would have just left home, could run a chalet and deliver quality service to hundreds of paying guests.

I'll be honest, I expected chaos. I prepared myself for tears, drama and high jinx but looking back I can say I've shaken off the judgement clouding the experience. We had all of the above but it also helped me address some of my own issues. I've never been particularly good with failure and, as an adult, skiing was much harder to learn but, in the way that falling down does not prevent a toddler from learning to walk, I was amazed that the only person judging me for my spectacular wipe outs on the slopes was me. The thing is, when you're young, you're always learning, but as an adult we somehow think we have to have it all figured out and anything less than that is frankly embarrassing.

Our common purpose bonded us in a way no other situation could and acceptance plays a big part in that. I learned that I have much to give and receive from living with strangers, including the opportunity to channel my natural maternal instinct towards the support of others in the absence of their own parental guidance. I was the 'Chalet Mum' and I still miss my team today.

I remember thinking, as a teenager, that the world was my oyster and that my future held endless, joyous possibilities. As an adult, stone cold reality had sucked that out of me but spending time with my young team, all so energetic and full of life, reminded me that I can still chase those dreams. Even they didn't see age as a barrier!

Choose how to complete this act...
GREEN OPTION:
Got five mins? Call your grandma, or your grandson, or your teenage cousin. Make a point of reconnecting with someone from a different generation.

YELLOW OPTION:
Got a neighbour you could go hang out with? More specifically, what about a lonely older neighbour? Or a young mum or dad who you could go and listen to and share your own experiences with? While you're there you might find there's something you can do with them over time – a shared interest, or a favour like mowing their lawn.

RED OPTION:
Feeling genuinely inspired? Find out how to become a mentor to a young person, or a young colleague. Look into joining a befriending scheme for older people who might not have much interaction with the world.

Hhjjjjj.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.