Tuesday 21 March 2017

40 Acts of Lent: Day 18 - pray

Act 18 - Pray
Prayer works best when we don't think of it as a task. We don't have to pray – we get to pray.
When we understand that prayer's a good gift from our generous Father, who's keen to talk with us, prayer isn’t another rod on our backs, but a joy.
We can be creative with how we talk to God.

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; 
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”   
                                                                                                         1 Thessalonians 5:16–18 (ESV)

Your thought for today: 
I have to admit that, like many of us, I sometimes struggle to pray. Most of us if we are honest would love to have a better ‘prayer life’. Even with the best intentions, we can be distracted.
Here are some things that have helped me to pray more in all kinds of situations.

  • Writing to God: In difficult times, I have found it hard to pray, so I have written to God about how I have been feeling. I have felt the presence of God powerfully at these times and felt God’s tender loving care.
  • The Ironing Prayer: I’m not a fan of ironing, but I almost look forward to it since I turned it into an opportunity to pray for my family. As I iron their clothes, I pray about situations facing them and sometimes feel God prompting me to think differently. 
  • The Fridge List: In the past I have written a list of people’s names on my fridge to remind me to pray for them every time I open the fridge. You would be surprised how many times you end up praying each day!
  • The Prayer Room: I have just moved house and I am decorating a ‘prayer space’ with family and friend photos, to remind me to pray for God to intervene in their lives. Over time, praying in this place becomes a place of refuge, as the peace of God can be felt. For several years I have been praying for a friend to become a Christian: she has in recent weeks! 
  • A Mile with Jesus: You ask Jesus to travel with you by car, by train, walking or at home with a map. When I have done this, God has shown me the love He has for EVERYONE and has led me to pray for complete strangers in ways I would never have considered.

For all of us, we will find it sometimes easier to connect with God than at other times. The secret to prayer is to persevere, to keep praying on all occasions and with thanksgiving.
Whatever you face today, I am certain that inviting God into the situation will transform it.

Choose how you’ll complete today’s act: 

Create a clear space for prayer. Look at your typical day and decide where and when prayer could fit into your routine. If you’re already doing this, pray more.  Downloading the Prayermate app is a great place to start!

Get creative with your prayers: pray for your town or city while you walk to work; pray for a different person every lap of the pool you swim; pray for a friend every time you brush your teeth – the possibilities are endless!

Involve others - team up with someone to pray regularly or organise a prayer walk in your local area. Sign up to pray for your street as part of the Neighbourhood Prayer Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - thanks for visiting.
We're always happy to receive comments, however,
we do moderate them to avoid spam.